NetFlow is a network protocol that collects metadata about the IP traffic flowing across network devices such as routers, switches and hosts¹. NetFlow data has many benefits for network performance monitoring and optimization, such as:
- Understanding traffic flow to maximize throughput and avoid congestion¹.
- Ensuring adequate bandwidth capacity and best planning for network growth¹.
- Heightening cybersecurity protection by detecting anomalies, intrusions and attacks¹.
- Identifying excessive bandwidth utilization or unexpected application traffic³.
- Planning upgrades more efficiently in terms of the number of ports, routing devices and other needs¹.
(1) What is NetFlow? | IBM. https://www.ibm.com/topics/netflow.
(2) 5 Benefits of NetFlow Performance Monitoring – CySight.ai. https://cysight.ai/5-benefits-of-netflow-performance-monitoring/.
(3) NetFlow – Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetFlow.